Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Pet Peeve #114

People who listen to you present an idea about which you have thought extensively and for which you have conducted a fairly thorough literature search and then say: "Have you read the paper by (authors XYZ) in which they discuss (idea ABC)? It sounds pretty similar to this" when they read the paper two years ago and barely remember the contents.

Possible responses, in order of frequency:

(a) No. I haven't read it. I'll look at it. [Proceed to look like an ill-informed doofus; look up the paper; realize it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT in ALL PERTINENT DETAILS. Write angry blog post]

(b) I read it, but it was a couple months ago. I don't remember any significant similarity, but I'll look at it again. [Proceed to look like an ill-informed doofus; look up the paper; realize it is TOTALLY DIFFERENT in ALL PERTINENT DETAILS. Write angry blog post]

(c) Yes. I've read it yesterday. It is superficially similar, but TOTALLY DIFFERENT in ALL PERTINENT DETAILS. [Look like a doofus anyway. Write angry blog post]

(d) Oh shit. I lose. [Write angry blog post]

Not the same, jerk!

No comments: